Tuesday, September 22, 2009

How I learn

I recently took a learning styles questionnaire to find out how I can improve my study skills and learning habits. I discovered that most of the information it told me about myself was true.
I found that I am an active learner as opposed to a reflective learning this means that I retain information better when I can do something active with it. This could include discussing it with a large group, applying it to life or teaching it to others. All of this being said, if I am in a class that does not leave time for much discussion or analyzing of the topic being discussed I should get together with a small group and discuss the class material. Before tests the same group of people should get together and ask each other questions that might be on the exam.
Second, I am right in the middle between being a sensing or and intuitive learner. This means that I some times like classes that are completely fact oriented such as intro to math (Kuyper). But at other times I like classes like Philosophy that are more concept and theory based. It really depends on the teacher and the class and the school that I am taking the class at. However I am a sensor in the fact that I like classes that are not all lecture that have discussion and real world concepts.
When it comes to the next set Visual and verbal I am 100% visual. If I am to understand a question or a problem perfectly well and from all angles I must see it on the board or on a sheet of paper in front of me. This may be one reason why my faith is some times shaky, because I have a hard time seeing and understanding when I only have verbal or written stories about Christ and all of the miraculous things He did while He was on this earth. I find it interesting that even though most people are visual learners the majority of college classes are taught from a verbal point such as a lecture. When it comes to teaching I will definitely be one of those teachers who draws/ writes everything on the board merely because that is how I learn best.
Last, when comparing sequential and global learners I fall primarily under the sequential umbrella. Most often when I am learning I understand things as they come to me small chunks at a time, step by step. Every once and a while things wont stick and all of the sudden a light bulb goes on but most often I learn as I am slowly fed the information. This will cause me to teach slowly so that everyone who is a sequential learner will have time to take in all of the little chunks of information.
I believe that because I know about all of the different learning styles now I will be careful not to teach only to my styles. I am not saying that it will be easy because using my learning styles would be the easiest way to go about it. But I feel as though being aware of my learning styles will be enough to keep me from over using just my styles.



No comments:

Post a Comment